Monday, March 3, 2008

SEW painful....



Talk about creating more chaos... Minutes before the the "big" kids were getting out of school this past Friday I was madly trying to get some sewing done while Jack napped and before the after school chaos began when I had myself a little run in with my sewing machine,,,,Yes. that is my left index finger and yes. that is the needle from my sewing machine sticking directly thru it!!! OUCH! Don't ask me how because I can not figure out what was going thru my head but for some reason I had to reach for the fabric I was sewing and neglected to take my foot off the pedal. I was in the zone until I felt a sharp "stabbing" pain, ripped my hand away, breaking the remainder of the needle off the machine and thought to myself "I just cut the tip of my finger off". When I finally looked at it you can just imagine how thrilled I was to see that it was just the needle sticking thru my finger! No blood and surprising little pain. I did not hit the bone which apparently involves alot more pain. Off to the ER I went where they numbed up the finger, took some x-rays to document my stupidity, yanked it out with a Leatherman type tool, put some neosporin and a band-aid on it and sent me home with 10 days of antibiotics. There is one small piece of needle that broke off and remains in my finger but going in to retrieve it would be too invasive so hopefully it will heal and I will have the piece of "shrapnel" to always remind myself to slow down........(or Jim may read that - to remind myself to not talk on the phone while sewing..... I can not and will not confirm or deny that I was actually on the phone when it happened!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you were not sewing anything for me when you did that. You can start a new campaign dont sew and talk. Just kidding.

Mark Denn said...

Got the word while out of town and it sent chills up my spine. Investigation into the incident has begun including a full review of phone bill. I'm glad you are ok!

Sarah said...

These radiologist hubbies of ours think they know everything, don't they?

HI FRIEND!! I found your blog through Marlina's. How's 1st year going for Jim? Gav is happy, but busy.

(Hope you don't mind if I check up on you guys via this blog. It's so fun!)